When Karl Rove resigned, I was busybusybusy with my head full of FullCodePress stuff, so I didn't get a chance to blog about it. But I was, needless to say, very happy. The Prince of Darkness (aka Bush's Brain) is gone! Woohoo!
My absolute favourite response was the official statement which appeared on Presidential candidate John Edwards' website soon after Rove's announcement. It simply reads:
Although I don't for a moment believe that the influence of KKKarl will disappear the day he leaves the White House, it's still nice to see the back of him - officially at least.
And now we have Gonzo. Goodness me! I thought he was going to hang on until the bitter end! Even though the entire country had already written him off as a liar and an incompetent fool, it seemed that Gonzales hadn't gotten the memo. Or perhaps he had, but simply "couldn't recall" having received it. Ha.
Interesting that there was absolutely no explanation from him as to why he was leaving, and why now. I wonder whether the WH rug was finally pulled from beneath him, or if it was the hot breath of impeachment on the back of his neck that finally did him in.
Either way, I'm convinced that the resignations of both Rove and Gonzales so close together cannot be any type of coincidence. This has Department of Justice investigation written all over it. Maybe it's the Hatch Act violations? Those have pretty serious consequences for anyone convicted.
We may never know what was the final nail in the coffin for Karl and Alberto. We can certainly be sure that they will rewrite history anyway, in an attempt to absolve themselves from any responsibility for this, the Worst Presidency Ever.
They're not the only Loyal Bushies to leave the sinking ship, either. Just to refresh your memory, here's a little list. We like lists:
Bush insiders who have quit the administration
- Paul Wolfowitz. Resigned as deputy secretary of defence in 2005.
- Andrew Card. White House chief of staff. Resigned in March 2006.
- Lewis 'Scooter' Libby, chief of staff to vice-president Dick Cheney. Resigned in October 2006 after being indicted in the Valerie Plame scandal.
- Donald Rumsfeld, secretary of defence. Resigned in November 2006.
- John Bolton. Stepped down as US ambassador to the UN in December 2006.
- Harriet Miers, White house counsel. Resigned in February 2007.
- Dan Bartlett, counsellor to the president. Resigned in June 2007.
- Karl Rove, political strategist and close confidant to George Bush. Leaving at the end of August 2007.
- Alberto Gonzales, Attorney General. Stepping down September 17 2007.
Farewell Turd Blossom and Fredo (and the rest). You disgusting people. Impeachment's (almost) too good for you. You should all be marched off to The Hague to stand trial for war crimes.
[Cartoons borrowed from Bilicki Blog (Bad Rover) and Mike Keefe at the Denver Post. Thanks, guys! Click for larger versions...]
Technorati tags: Karl Rove, Alberto Gonzales, Attorney General, resign, resignation, Gonzo, Fredo, Turd Blossom, KKKarl, impeach, Loyal Bushies, Bush, Paul Wolfowitz, Andrew Card, Lewis Libby, Scooter, Donald Rumsfeld, John Bolton, Harriet Miers, quit, impeachment, WebWeaver's World, webweaver.