Monday, February 22, 2010

Happy centenary, house!

Section on line A-B. 100 years ago today, my house was conceived by A Stubbs, Architect. It's there in black and white on the architect's plan I got from the City Council.

22 February 1910. I'm not sure when exactly it was "born" (built), so we'll have to go for conception instead.

It's amazing when you think about it. Imagine what my house has seen over the past century!

Winnie in the dining room on a sunny afternoon. My house was the first one built on the hill. Back then it was surrounded by ugly bare earth up and down the hillside, and a rough road (track) below. These days it's surrounded by trees and bush and other people's houses. Except for in front. We have a great view across the valley in front. I rather like that.

Detail of eaves. I wonder if there were as many tuis and keas in the valley when my house was first built, as there are today? I bet there weren't. Living near the Karori Sanctuary definitely has its advantages.

My house was built for one JS Rutter, Esq., and it has the nicest vibe of any house I've ever lived in. People always remark on how welcoming and friendly it feels.

Plants on the verandah. Winnie and Bailey often focus quite intently on the ghosts in the room, and I get a strong vibe that we have good ghosts living here.

It needs a bit of TLC at the moment - the garden's a bit of a mess, the window frames urgently need painting and the weatherboards'll need doing in a couple of years, but it's doing pretty well for a place that's been standing for a hundred years.

End Elevation. I love my house. I have been known to stop and hug the doorframes in passing, on more than one occasion. It's pretty much my favourite place in the whole world.

Happy birthday, house! May you have many, many more.

Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , .

0 comments: