Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!

i heart you - borrowed from www.davidchoe.com. I'm not that keen on Valentine's Day. For 364 days of the year I'm quite content being single. Okay, that's not quite true. Let's say for 364 days of the year - minus a few hours once every 2 or 3 months when my PMS gets the better of me - I'm quite content being single. The one day a year that I'm pretty much guaranteed to feel at least grumpy about not being one half of a couple is February 14.

On Valentine's Day it feels as though there's a grand conspiracy against all of us saddo singles. Everywhere you look couples are rushing out buying each other red roses and taking each other out for dinner, sending each other soppy cards and generally being very LOUD about the fact that somebody-loves-me. It's like a giant finger pointed in the direction of the unattached, accompanied by the accusing cry of "LOSER!!! LOSER!!"

Yeah I know. I'm being very over-dramatic. It's not even as if it bothers me the rest of the year (apart from during that PMT thing I mentioned earlier!). I'm not a single person who's desperate to be half of a double. I don't believe that finding The One will somehow complete my life. I'm perfectly well aware that I make my own happiness, as we all do, and that it's not up to anyone else to make me happy - it's down to me.

Still... on that one day a year, I do have a bit of a tendency to feel a bit sorry for myself. So why am I wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day this year?

Valentine's card - borrowed from Lora. Well... it's funny, but this year for some reason I haven't felt so bad. Maybe I'm just over it. Maybe I'm just so used to being single that it just doesn't bother me anymore - not even on February 14. Maybe it's because Matt V told me yesterday about his secret plan to surprise his wife on Valentine's Day, and I thought it was sweet and lovely - and it made me feel happy for them, rather than sad for me.

There actually is a person I quite like - althought I'm such a wuss that I didn't send them a Valentine today. Maybe I should have. Mind you, they didn't send me one either :)

Anyway, it wasn't such a bad day today. I wasn't Mrs Grumpy-Pants at all, and that's always a good thing. You wouldn't want to hang out with me when I'm being Mrs Grumpy-Pants.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Technorati tags: , , , .

1 comments:

Andree said...

MRS. Grumpy-Pants?

Oh I am so laughing. You won't believe the coincidence:

Click here!