Thursday, October 02, 2008

Katie Couric, I think I love you

Exactly one month ago I wrote my first blog post about Palin. It was entitled McCain/Palin - the gift that keeps on giving.

I've now realised that I must change my focus and declare The Couric/Palin Interview to be that gift - and what a gift it is!

oh.my.god.

First there was this on her foreign policy credentials (and Putin's head!):



COURIC: Explain to me why that [the proximity of Alaska to Russia] enhances your foreign policy credentials.

PALIN: Well, it certainly does, because our, our next-door neighbours are foreign countries, they're in the state that I am the Executive of...

PALIN:As Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where, where do they go? It's Alaska, it's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to, ah, um, to our state.


Then this on the bailout:



COURIC: Why isn't it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families who are struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries? Allow them to spend more and put more money into the economy? Instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN: That's why I say, I like every American I'm speaking with were ill about this position that we have been put in where it is the tax payers looking to bailout.

But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy - helping the - oh, it’s got to be about job creation too. Shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans.

And trade - we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a, a competitive, um scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today. We, we, we’ve got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation.

This bailout is a part of that.


...which inspired this from SNL:



I believe that's the first time ever in the whole history of the world wherein a piece of satire quotes a subject word for word while at the same time lampooning them. Yup, she's that bad.

But wait! There's more! First came the Supreme Court rumour which surfaced a couple of days ago - but which was beaten to the line by this piece in which Palin, who majored in journalism at 5 colleges, appears unable to name a single newspaper or magazine:



Then there was this strange segment where Palin clearly has no idea where the Gaza Strip is, has no clue who Hamas is, and therefore doesn't know whether she's "supposed" to support them or not:



And finally (so far, at least) the pièce de résistance, in which Palin is completely unable to name a single Supreme Court ruling apart from Roe v Wade, and once again goes into full-on avoid-the-question talk-as-fast-as-you-can mode:



COURIC: What other Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with?

PALIN: Well, let's see. There's - of course - in the great history of America rulings there have been rulings, there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American. And there are - those issues, again, like Roe v Wade where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know going through the history of America, there would be others but -"

COURIC: Can you think of any?

PALIN: Well, I could think of - of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level. Maybe I would take issue with. But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a Vice President, if I'm so privileged to serve, would be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today.


Good grief.

I'm not even an American (I'm a Kiwi living in New Zealand), and off the top of my head, in addition to Roe v Wade I could name Brown v Board of Education, Loving v Virginia and Bush v Gore. Hey! maybe I should stand as VP instead! Or not.

Katie Couric, I think I love you.

The thing is, it's not even as if she's known as being a tough interviewer - and really, none of her questions would be considered "difficult" by anyone standing for office who had even a fraction of the knowledge that they should have in that position.

I think one of the killer aspects of this interview (aside from Palin's obvious cluelessness, the ensuing entertainment value and the screeds of material that SNL are able to use verbatim), is the fact that Couric is a woman.

It was pretty obvious (in what respect, Charlie?), that Palin is used to being able to turn on the charm and do a little flirting, with a little wink here and there when she gets into trouble in an interview situation. But it doesn't work quite so well on a woman, does it Sarah? Ha!

I think it's clear that Palin has NO BUSINESS being anywhere near the Vice Presidency. It's ridiculous, shameful, and reflects outrageously badly on McCain's judgement in picking her in the first place.

Roll on the Vice-Presidential debate! I have popcorn! I have yet to decide on the rules of my drinking game! (I will be at work so I probably should drop the drinking game idea anyway...). Wonder if she'll use her note cards again like she was obviously doing in parts of the Couric interview (see especially the bailout segment).

And remember the wise words of Jack Cafferty:

If John McCain wins this woman will be one 72-year-old's heartbeat away from being President of the United States. And if that doesn't scare the hell out of you, it should.


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

0 comments: