Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

It's 4.44am. I finished reading the book at 3.19am. I'll go to bed soon.

Unbelievably, despite the attempts by (amongst others) The New York Times (shame on you, NYT!), Alice and I managed to obtain our copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows completely un-spoilered - basically by switching off most access to the outside world for the past week - no TV news, no radio, very little internet (no surfing!). Oh - and iPods on from 11.01am onwards inside Dymocks... I never thought we'd do it, but we did!

The book is - awesome. I cried. Rather a lot. Rather a lot of times.

Some of my predictions were right, some were wrong. I won't tell you which, though.

I'm not going to spoiler anything for you. It's been a wild ride, and I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone else. I'll be re-reading it from tomorrow onwards. Once is simply not enough.

Thanks, Jo! You are a wonderful writer! Thank you SO MUCH for introducing a whole generation of children to the wonders of reading - and for reminding many adults of the absolute joy of disappearing into a beautifully-written story. As I read the final tale of Harry's journey I imagined millions of other people around the world doing exactly the same thing. In these dark times, a little bit of escapism, an opportunity to step into a fantastical world for a while, is never a bad thing.

Technorati tags: , , , , , , , .

4 comments:

missdeuxmont said...

Will u still lend it to me? Hmm Hmm? Ready to part with it yet?

;-)

webweaver said...

Ahhh MissD...

I will happily lend it to you - but I'm not quite ready to part with it yet! I'm reading it all over again first...

So you might have to wait a week or two...

Anonymous said...

Who decides which books get press (Harry Potter) and which get censored? After all, censorship is becoming America's favorite past-time. The US gov't (and their corporate friends), already detain protesters, ban books like "America Deceived" from Amazon and Wikipedia, shut down Imus and fire 21-year tenured, BYU physics professor Steven Jones because he proved explosives, thermite in particular, took down the WTC buildings. Free Speech forever (especially for books).
Last link (before Google Books caves to pressure and drops the title):
America Deceived (book)

Arti Honrao said...

Oh yes, The entire Harry Potter series was awesome and the author did justice to the series in the last book!




GBU
Arti