Thursday, June 08, 2006

10 tips on writing the living web

A List Apart logoI read a great piece on A List Apart the other day. It's called 10 tips on writing the living web by Mark Bernstein, and it's aimed at anyone who's interested in improving their online/ongoing writing style.

The living web is the part of the internet which is always changing, and it includes news sites, personal sites such as blogs and journals, and business sites such as corporate weblogs, wikis, knowledge banks, community sites, and workgroup journals.

Every revision requires new writing, new words that become the essence of the site. Living sites are only as good as today's update. If the words are dull, nobody will read them, and nobody will come back. If the words are wrong, people will be misled, disappointed, infuriated. If the words aren't there, people will shake their heads and lament your untimely demise.

Mark has put together his top ten tips for writing for the living web:
  1. Write for a reason
  2. Write often
  3. Write tight
  4. Make good friends
  5. Find good enemies
  6. Let the story unfold
  7. Stand up, speak out
  8. Be sexy
  9. Use your archives
  10. Relax!
Check it out! Mark provides heaps of interesting detail and suggestions - it's really made me think about my writing, and hopefully my blog is improving as a result.

I think my top tip would be have fun. I don't think there would be muuch point in blogging if I wasn't enjoying it - and so far I'm loving it! I love writing, and thinking about stuff, and it's such a good outlet for me to get my thoughts "on paper". Only it's better than paper, because I'm such a perfectionist that I change and improve things all the time - and the internet allows me to do that endlessly :)

What's your top tip?

Technorati tags: , , , , .

0 comments: